How much do you 'think' you know about Rome? I have put together a fun quiz so that you can test yourself and, possibly, learn even more about the marvels of Rome. Most of the answers can be found somewhere within my website. All questions are multiple-choice. Have fun and write your answers down as you go along. When you are finished, click on the answer button at the bottom of this quiz to see how you did. No peeking until you have completed the quiz. Check back from time to time as additional questions may be added. Good luck!
1. How many statues line the top of Bernini's Colonnades surrounding St. Peter's Square?
2. Besides the famous Sistine Chapel at the Vatican, where is the other Sistine Chapel in Rome?
A. Santa Maria Maggiore
B. Sant'Agnese in Agone
3. What is the name of the church atop the famed Spanish Steps with the twin bell towers?
A. Sant'Andrea delle Fratte
B. The Pantheon
C. Trinita dei Monti
Including St. Peter, the first Bishop of Rome and its first pope, how many
popes have there
been as of 2002?
5. What is the name most selected by the popes?
6. Whose head is enshrined in San Silvestro in Capite?
A. St. Paul
B. St. James
C. St. John the Baptist
The macabre crypts under Santa Maria delle Concezione off Piazza Barberini
with the bones of over 4,000 friars from what order?
A. Dominican Friars
B. Capuchin Friars
C. Franciscan Friars
8. Whose mausoleum is located in the Ara Pacis (Altar of Peace)?
C. Augustus Caesar
9. Castel Sant'Angelo was originally built as:
The Pope's summer residence
B. Hadrian's Mausoleum
C. A fortress to protect the Vatican
10. The first Holy Year (or Jubilee Year) was proclaimed in what year?
11. The Holy Door to St. Peter's is opened every:
A. 25 years
B. 50 years
C. 100 years
12. The Scala Sancta (Holy Staircase) are originally from:
The Lateran Palace
B. Pilate's Palace in Jerusalem
C. The Roman Forum
13. The only non-religious status adorning a facade of a church in Rome is of:
B. Emperor Constantine
C. Vittorio Emanuele II
14. The Bocca della Verita (Mouth of Truth) is:
A 4th century B.C. Roman sun dial
B. A 4th century B.C. drain cover
C. An ancient Etruscan sculpture
15. Nero's ghost was said to have haunted what church?
Santa Maria in Traspontina
B. Santa Maria del Popolo
C. Santa Maria della Pace
16. Santo Stefano Rotondo's shape is:
C. In the form of a Greek cross
17. In ancient times, the Area Sacra was:
A bustling Roman marketplace
B. A Roman theater complex
C. Sacred temples where Julius Caesar was assassinated
18. The oldest structure still intact and used in Rome is:
The Roman Curia
B. The Pantheon
C. The Coliseum
19. Which pope sold his tiara and used the funds for the poor?
Pope Paul VI
B. Pope John Paul I
C. Pope Pius XII
20. In the Vatican Museums, how many rooms comprise the famed Raphael Rooms?
21. What famous artist is buried in the Pantheon?
22. Rome's International Airport, Fiumicino, is also known as:
Leonardo da Vinci International Airport
B. Machievelli International Airport
C. Galileo Galilei International Airport
23. The "modern day" Port of Rome is located in:
24. Rome's high-fashion district is located on:
Via del Corso
B. Via Condotti
C. Via Vittorio Veneto
25. Michelangelo's "Moses" in San
Pietro in Vincoli was commissioned to be the tomb
of what pope?
Pope Julius II
B. Pope Sixtus V
C. Pope Pius III
26. Who elects a new pope?
Ecumenical Association of Bishops
B. College of Cardinals
C. Second Vatican Council
27. The only pope of Jewish ancestry was:
St. Marcellinus (296 A.D.)
B. St. Mark (336 A.D.)
C. St. Peter (32 A.D.)
28. During the 14th century, the papacy was moved from Rome to what French city?
29. Who designed the Swiss Guards' uniforms?
30. Rome's famed open-air produce and flower markets are located where?
Piazza di Spagna
B. Campo de'Fiori
C. Piazza Navona
31. How many antipopes have there been?
32. How many of Christ's 12 apostles/disciples are buried in Rome?
33. The four patriarchal churches
of Rome are St. Peter's, San Paolo fuori le Mura,
Santa Maria Maggiore, and what other church?
Santa Maria sopra Minerva
B. San Giovanni in Laterano
C. San Clemente
Think you've answered them all correct? Click here for the answers. More questions will be added periodically. Hope you had fun.
Back to Main Page